Remove this ad

miles

regular

Lead

Jan 1 14 2:38 PM

Tags : :

Monster Hunter Quarterly will open for submissions on Jan. 6th, 2014, and will stay open indefinitely as stories are chosen to fill each volume. 

MHQ will not be published quarterly, but will instead consist of 4 novellas per each volume. Volumes will be offered in trade paperback and ebook formats, just as the anthologies and novels are. 

This is an open themed, open genre project and the wider the variation, the better. Give us a classic monster hunter, a weird-western, Steampunk, Sci-Fi or Fantasy. Stories will be chosen based purely on quality.

The length of each story should be 17,000 to 30,000 words.

Payment will be through residuals, 20% to each author per hard copy and ebook sold. Each author will also receive a hard copy and ebook format of the volume. 

Last Edited By: miles Jan 6 14 7:51 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

stevengepp

novice

#2 [url]

Jan 13 14 8:13 AM

I have a story (25k words) ready to go. No monsters... not really. Just a simple love story with lots of knives and blood. So, my question is: where do I send it? Is there any formatting you prefer (it's currently formatted according to Shunn)? Thanks in advance...

Quote    Reply   

miles

regular

#3 [url]

Jan 13 14 9:25 AM

You can submit here: https://embypress.submittable.com/submit

But it does need to have at least one monster... Even a little, tiny one. Or something ghostlike, supernatural or spooky. Got to keep up appearances and all.

Formatting really doesn't matter to me as long as it's in a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file. Seriously, everything gets reformatted nowadays and it's involved. There's no need to put the writers through hoops unless you are looking to learn formatting.

As far as Shunn goes, I actually prefer that writers not follow those guidelines. There's no need for headers, page numbers, or monotype fonts in our brave new digital world.

And (traditionalists may want to sit down for this) the Courier font never looks good unless it's from an actual typewriter. I'll accept it, but I'll change it to TNR or Cambria before I read it.

Quote    Reply   

garybuettner

novice

#4 [url]

Jan 13 14 10:08 AM

coolness

I think I may have something for this.  Zombies.  It started life as a serial blog that I stopped working on.  Only Novella I ever wrote.

Quote    Reply   

stevengepp

novice

#5 [url]

Jan 16 14 10:21 PM

Okay, I didn't send in the one I was going to (the monster, as such, is "just" a jilted woman), but a non-traditional narrative. Even if you don't accept it, I hope you like it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Tyuru

rookie

#6 [url]

Jan 31 14 1:22 PM

I am curious if you would consider publishing serialized fiction here. I know there isn't a set publishing schedule yet, but I really think this would be a good media for a serialized novel or a few connected novelleas. Either way, I am really excited for this! 

Quote    Reply   

miles

regular

#7 [url]

Feb 1 14 12:11 PM

Hi Tyuru!

MHQ will be for novella length works. It's a formula I've created to be able to present shorter works and still be able to compensate authors adequately. There are already several authors on board who will feature multiple novellas featuring recurring characters, so that may be a yes to your question.

If you are talking about shorter serialized fiction, say around 1,000 to 3,000 words at a time, check out the thread on this forum about Jukepop Serial authors!

I love serials and Jukepop does an outstanding job with this format, to the degree that I see no point in Emby trying to compete with them. They do a top-notch job! If you have a serial to post, you can post it there and then let me know. I'll be keeping an eye on titles and am happy to discuss publishing work that meets Emby themes and standards!

Miles

Quote    Reply   

johnxgrey

novice

#8 [url]

Feb 15 14 9:19 AM

This sounds like a great project. Some of my novel ideas for the vampire hunter Jack Petrov in the future might not lend themselves to full-length books, and as I've written a few novellas over the years (the only one ever published so far being in Static Movement's 2010 Super anthology - "Seven Years after Midnight") I enjoy the freedom the form gives to tell a longer story. I'm currently working on a Jack Petrov novella and hope to submit it by the spring.

Quote    Reply   

CWilliamRussette

rookie

#9 [url]

Feb 18 14 11:20 PM

Editing mine now. It is going to be a hair under 30k words. MANY monsters. Tons of fun.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help