miles

regular

Lead

Apr 29 13 10:05 PM

Tags : :

Sci-Fi Monster Hunter?
Fantasy Monster Hunter?
YA Monster Hunter?

What genres do you like to write in? Which one of the above sparks ideas?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

stevengepp

novice

#1 [url]

Apr 30 13 6:43 AM

Fantasy... but that's because I tend towards that. Sword and sorcery fantasy, knights fighting dragons, barbarians fighting the dreaded ice worms, Tibetan monks fighting hordes of rampaging Yeh-Tehs. And not a gun or electronic device in sight.

Quote    Reply   

borachon

novice

#3 [url]

Apr 30 13 9:48 PM

I think you could write a monster hunter story for just about any genre. The monster hunter tale involves certain main components. A monster, a hunter, some intermediate characters, including a love interest, or some helpless persons, threatened by the monster, and the hunt. Seems to me all you'd have to do is change the setting to fit the genre.

Hunter goes after dragon on a mountaintop for sword and sorcery.
Hunter goes after alien monster in a space station for sci fi.
Hunter goes after Indian totem monster in the old west for a western.
Hunter goes after teenage monster in a high school gym for YA.
Hunter goes after monster lurking in a TV studio where a sit com is being filmed for a comedy.
Private Eye Hunter goes after monster hiding on the grounds of a wealthy client's estate for a mystery.

I don't really have a favorite genre. I've written sword and sorcery, space western, science fiction, weird western, comedy sword and sorcery. A good story idea can be made to fit any genre, I think. 

Quote    Reply   

miles

regular

#4 [url]

May 1 13 6:13 AM

Indeed, a well told tale can be told in any genre. But, there is something exciting about having a focus and reaching out to folks that stick to particular genres.

In the past I haven't accepted Fantasy submissions, but dedicating an anthology to that genre would be a lot of fun, as would some of the others.

I'm putting together the slate of possible ideas for 2013 and 2014 and I do want to explore genres. I'm just trying to decide which one to start with...

Quote    Reply   

garybuettner

novice

#5 [url]

May 1 13 7:43 AM

What about a mix-genre anthology?  SWORDS AND SPACESHIPS?  Just a thought.  smile

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

miles

regular

#6 [url]

May 1 13 8:14 AM

I think, to do each genre justice, that each would need its own book. To me, having a mix is okay, but I like the idea of really being able to advertise Fantasy or Sci-Fi and come through with the goods.

Plus, I really enjoy what modern writers and filmmakers are doing to bring new aspects to the genres and I'll really be looking to reflect that.

Modern films like Avatar, District 9 and Prometheus present cool scenarios in which a Sci-Fi monster hunt could take place.

Superhero movies and graphic novels are at a high point, which is very inspiring to the creation of monster hunting heroes.

Fantasy is probably best represented by Tolkien and Martin right now - plenty of inspiration there.

YA is probably the fastest growing genre at the moment, and keep in mind that YA does not imply childish situations - it only demands younger characters and their POV. A hard-bitten monster hunter with experience is one thing - a sixteen year old facing their first hunt is quite another. 

And then there are the genres that have been overlooked for a while. An Occult Detective volume is my personal favorite for this category. 

John is right in that everyone can rally behind a monster hunt - that's a big part of what has inspired me over the years. Now I want to explore what kind of great stories are out there in writer's imaginations!

Quote    Reply   

garybuettner

novice

#7 [url]

May 1 13 2:17 PM

Oooooh, occult detective sounds awesome!  Yeah, the combo idea was a little out there.  Be neat if somehow you could have a situation where all the stories fit into a kind of structure of a place, say, or a fictional world.  Twenty "middle earth" stories by different writers, giving the impression of depth and of a lot going on in a world, just, ya'know, not middle earth.  That would be a nightmare to coordinate.  Especially continuity. 

Quote    Reply   

rob pegler

novice

#9 [url]

May 1 13 8:33 PM

I think monster hunting fits in with any genre because - ironically - monsters don't "belong" anywhere. A "monster", almost by definition, is an aberration wherever it pops up. Whether you're in Third-Age Minas Tirith or 1940s New York, a hairy beast dragging someone down an alley works the same way, precisely because it's an unexpected danger that doesn't fit into its surroundings.

That said, the explanation for the monster's existence might be genre-dependant. The xenomorph from Alien needed no explanation - it was just a misplaced predatory animal from some other planet (an explanation that still works for me, since Prometheus did little more than confuse the issue). Shelob from The Two Towers didn't need an explanation for her existence (though Tolkien provided one anyway) because it was a sword & sorcery setting and you expect to find monsters lurking in dark caves. We generally don't need explanations for the presence of vampires or werewolves in modern-day stories, because these are familiar monsters in our culture and we can just pop 'em in anywhere (especially vampires, who are presumed to have just stayed alive for hundreds of years).

There's also an argument to be made that all monster stories are technically fantasy, so they bring their own genre with them.

Quote    Reply   

Scathe

rookie

#10 [url]

Mar 21 14 9:59 AM

Creepy is what I look for with any Monster Hunter narrative. I mean, check these monster hunters out, written about 2500 years ago:

7 On the twenty-fourth day of the eleventh month which is the month of Shebat, in the second year of Dari′us, the word of the Lord came to Zechari′ah the son of Berechi′ah, son of Iddo, the prophet; and Zechari′ah said,

8 “I saw in the night, and behold, a man riding upon a red horse! He was standing among the myrtle trees in the glen; and behind him were red, sorrel, and white horses.

9 Then I said, ‘What are these, my lord?’ The angel who talked with me said to me, ‘I will show you what they are.’

10 So the man who was standing among the myrtle trees answered, ‘These are they whom the Lord has sent to patrol the earth.’

11 And they answered the angel of the Lord who was standing among the myrtle trees, ‘We have patrolled the earth, and behold, all the earth remains at rest.’

Zechariah 1.7-11

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help